HMP Rye Hill Master Gardeners support the personal development of substance-misuse prisoners by creating a shared growing space. This exciting innovation has a dedicated co-ordinator with a practical role as follows.
- Train and support 10-12 specialist staff Master Gardeners to lead onsite horticultural and coaching sessions.
- Manage the design and construction of a 55 x 35m growing space where prisoners earn levels of attainment and recognition.
- Monitor, evaluate, and promote achievements of the garden and prisoner attainment.
The approach is core to a new, full time schedule of targeted ‘interventions’ for a rolling pool of 78 open-file prisoners working towards a life of employment opportunities free of re-offending.
There are exciting ideas from prisoners, staff, and partners. We launched in spring 2013.
Partners summary (details below)
The approach is delivered by the Master Gardener Programme team at the national charity, Garden Organic, in partnership with the international security solutions group, G4S.
The HMP Rye Hill interventions are NHS supported to deliver the ‘whole-prisoner’ recovery method from the newly enlarged Substance Misuse Services team. This constructive regime actively encourages prisoners to address the causes of their offending, and provides suitable education and work programmes to equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release.
There are more ideas in development for supporting offenders. Please contact Garden Organic to discuss how to involve your group or prison.
|HMP Rye Hill
Willoughby, Nr Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 8SZ
- Category ‘B’ training prison with 625 male adults. The sentence requirement is prisoners who receive more than four years with 18 months left to serve.
- The philosophy at HMP Rye Hill is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. They seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible and reflect life in the outside community. The aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe, and causes of prison stress are minimised.
- HMP Rye Hill opened in 2001 under the private financial initiative. The site is managed by G4S – the largest security services provider in the world with operations in more than 125 countries across six continents.
|Master Gardener Programme
- Launched in April 2010 thanks to funding from the Big Lottery Fund’s Local Food scheme and local support in urban and rural areas.
- Coventry University evaluation has proven significant health, social and environmental benefits for people receiving the advice and encouragement of Garden Organic’s growing mentors in successful networks around the UK.
- Over 400 Master Gardeners have given 16,000 hours supporting 4,300 people in mentored households and inspiring another 50,000 at hundreds of events and community groups.
Ryton Gardens, Wolston Lane, Coventry, CV8 3LG
- UK’s leading organic growing charity at the forefront of the organic horticulture movement for 50 years. Dedicated to promoting organic gardening in homes, communities and schools, we use innovation and inspiration to get more people growing in the most sustainable way.
- Garden Organic’s charitable work delivers the organic growing message through renowned projects such as the Food for Life Partnership, Master Composters, Master Gardeners, and the work of The Heritage Seed Library.
- Our home for over 25 years has been Ryton Gardens in the heart of England with 10 acres of organic demonstration gardens.
Back to home page